The 2013 edition of the national masonry design code and minimum specification represents a major update from the 2011 edition both in technical requirements and in layout. This edition is referenced by the 2015 International Building Code for the design and construction of structural masonry, veneer, and glass unit masonry. Many revisions and enhancements have been made to the 2013 Building Code Requirements and Specification for Masonry Structures including:
- a complete reformatting of the document into a more user friendly format
- the addition of an Appendix on an optional limit design method for special reinforced masonry shear walls
- a new Chapter for the prescriptive design of masonry partition walls
- movement of the empirical provisions into an Appendix
- a change to permit a moment magnifier approach for the design of reinforced clay, concrete masonry and autoclaved aerated concrete (AAC) masonry walls
- revisions of design requirements for partially grouted shear walls
- changes to the requirements for joint reinforcement and seismic clips for anchored veneer in SDC D, E, and F.