Be a Part of World Class Masonry Standards Development
The Masonry Society (TMS) is the premier professional, technical, and educational society dedicated to the advancement in knowledge of masonry technology. The Society was founded in 1977 and the First North American Masonry Conference was held in Boulder, Colorado in 1978.
Today, TMS has over 500 members worldwide. TMS creates the standards for masonry referenced in the International Building Codes and publishes technical design and construction information.
The TMS 402/602 committee (formerly the Masonry Standards Joint Committee – MSJC) develops Building Code Requirements and Specification for Masonry Structures, which is referenced by the International Building Code for the structural design and construction of masonry. Other TMS Committees develop related standards, design guides, and resources, including the popular Masonry Designers’ Guide. TMS provides numerous educational opportunities through its webinars, seminars, Masonry Educators Workshop (MEW), Spring and Annual meetings, and the North American Masonry Conference. Meet others involved with masonry and experience many networking opportunities at our meetings and events. See our Meetings page for dates and locations.
Who Can Join
Anyone with an interest in masonry. Engineers, architects, educators, manufacturers, contractors, craftsmen, code officials, and students, typically find the most benefit.
General Benefits of TMS Membership
As a TMS Member you will have the opportunity to contribute to the growth of the Society and the advancement of masonry knowledge.
Become involved on committees for the exchange of masonry knowledge for design and construction. Committees meet twice annually at the Spring and Annual Meetings and may meet virtually at other times to complete important committee work. Visit the Committee page for more information or to join a committee.
Other benefits include:
- Substantial discounts of 25% to 50% on TMS publications as well as discounted registrations for webinars, seminars, workshops, meetings, and conferences.
- Free access to a variety of previously recorded webinars (providing 13 hours of continuing education) plus discounts of 25% or more on other courses available through the Masonry Education Hub.
- Promote yourself or your company via the Society’s Masonry Consultant/Speaker Directory. The Directory is available to the public from the TMS website. The Directory enables those seeking Masonry Consultants and Speakers to search for those that may have the expertise they need. TMS Members receive one free listing. Additional listings are available at discounted rates.
- TMS E-News – our newsletter on the events and business of the Society and TMS News Briefs are sent as newsworthy topics warrant.
- TMS Sustainability E-News– our newsletter with links to the most important news in the area of sustainability and masonry – is sent electronically twice a month.
- TMS Journal – the only peer reviewed referenced technical journal in North America devoted exclusively to masonry design, research and construction. You can submit an article for review or reference those which have been published. Complimentary online access for Members.
- TMS Responds – our technical bulletin containing responses to questions from the membership and others on masonry design, construction, evaluation and repair.
TMS also offers Affiliate and Sustaining Memberships for individuals and firms that want to help support the Society, while gaining additional exposure for their firms.
Benefits of Affiliate Membership
All of the general benefits of Membership PLUS
- One free TMS publication of your choice per year.
- Three complimentary listings in the Consultant/Speaker Directory
- Representation on the TMS Board if your representative is elected to fill one of the Affiliate Member seats.
- Recognition in TMS E-News, TMS Journal, TMS Meetings, and the Membership Guide of your special contribution.
- Recognition on TMS’s Website with a complimentary link to your website or email address
Benefits of Sustaining Membership
All of the benefits of an Affiliate Membership PLUS
- Complimentary copies of every new publication printed by TMS plus one free TMS book of your choice each year (in most years, this represent over $300 of free publications!).
- Ten complimentary listings in the Consultant/Speaker Directory
- Representation on the TMS Board if your representative is elected to fill one of the Sustaining Member seats.
Other Membership Types
TMS also offers special memberships for students, those just starting their professional careers, and those that are retired.
Any person enrolled as a full-time student at an accredited school pursuing a degree in engineering, architecture, or construction technology who is 28 years old or younger. Must provide an educational institution email or other proof of enrollment.
Any person 28 years old or younger who by education, training, or occupation is involved in the technical, scientific, design, construction, or manufacturing aspects of masonry. Limited to two years duration.
Those 65 years and older who are retired from full-time employment yet wish to continue to monitor the activities of TMS. Benefits are limited to electronic correspondence, with no Member discounts.
2021 Membership Dues Rates
|Member||Any individual who by education, training, or occupation is involved in the technical, scientific, design, construction, or manufacturing aspects of masonry.||$225|
|Junior||Any person 28 years old or younger who by education, training, or occupation is involved in the technical, scientific, design, construction, or manufacturing aspects of masonry. Limited to two years duration.||$75|
|Affiliate Organization||Any individual or organization with an interest in the goals and activities of the Society; benefits include one free publication of your choice each year and recognition in the newsletter, some TMS publications, and on the TMS website.||$700|
|Sustaining Organization||An individual or organization with an interest in the goals and activities of the Society and who wishes to make a significant contribution; benefits include copies of all TMS books published during the calendar year and recognition in the newsletter, some TMS publications, and on the TMS website.||$2,000|
|Student||Any person enrolled as a full-time student at an accredited school pursuing a degree in engineering, architecture, or construction technology who is 28 years old or younger.||$35|
|Electronic Retired Membership||Those 65 years and older who are retired from full-time employment yet wish to continue to monitor the activities of TMS. Benefits are limited to electronic correspondence only, with no Member discounts.||$95|