Latest Errata: Errata to TMS 402/602-22 (as of 2023-10-04)
Earlier Errata: Errata to TMS 402/602-22 (as of 2022-09-22)*
Included in files downloaded after November 28, 2022
The Masonry Standards Online version of TMS 402/602 has additional features not available with the download version, including:
- Copy – Copy text, equations, tables, and figures
- Print – Print sections from the standard and commentary
- Internal linking – Quickly jump to a referenced sections, figures, tables, or equations
- Share – Share links to specific sections within the standard or commentary
- Highlight and annotate – Highlight, annotate, and add notes to refer to later
- Notation and definition tooltips – Hover over terms and notation to display helpful tooltips with definitions
- Multi-user options – See below for more information
- and more!
TMS 402/602-22 Building Code Requirements and Specification for Masonry Structures contains two standards and their commentaries: Building Code Requirements for Masonry Structures designated as TMS 402 (and formerly designated as TMS 402/ACI 530/ASCE 5) and Specification for Masonry Structures designated as TMS 602 (and formerly designated as TMS 602/ACI 530.1/ASCE 6).
The Standards are written as legal documents so that they may be adopted by reference in building codes. The Code (TMS 402) covers the design and construction of masonry structures while the Specification (TMS 602) is concerned with minimum construction requirements for masonry in structures. The commentaries present background details, Committee considerations, and research data used to develop the standards. The commentaries are not mandatory and are for information of the user only.
The new 2022 edition has been updated throughout for new referenced standards, including ASCE/SEI 7-22 and numerous ASTM Standards. Other major changes to the TMS 402/602-22 include:
- New, more rational, masonry veneer provisions
- New Appendix D on composite reinforcement in masonry
- Updated and refined provisions throughout, including compression-controlled section requirements
These standards are produced by The Masonry’s Society’s TMS 402/602 Committee and were formerly developed through the joint sponsorship of The Masonry Society (TMS), the American Concrete Institute (ACI), and the Structural Engineering Institute of the American Society of Civil Engineers (SEI/ASCE) through the Masonry Standards Joint Committee (MSJC). In late 2013, ACI and ASCE relinquished their rights to these standards to TMS who has served as the lead sponsor of the Standards for a number of years. Since then, the Committee has operated solely under the sponsorship of The Masonry Society, and the Committee’s name, and the names of the standards, were re-designated.
TMS 402/602-22 Review Series
During this five-part recorded webinar series, masonry experts and Committee leaders review the new standards TMS 402-22 Building Code Requirements for Masonry Structures and TMS 602 Specification for Masonry Structures and changes made since the 2016 edition. These standards will form the basis for masonry design provisions in the 2024 International Building Code and other model building codes and include some major new provisions that include a new appendix on masonry partition walls reinforced with Glass Fiber Reinforced Polymer (GFRP) reinforcement, completely revised anchored and adhered veneer provisions, and enhancements throughout the standards.
Topics covered in this series include:
- Overview of Changes in TMS 402/602-22 and Review of the Specification for Masonry Structures
- Major Structural Design Changes in TMS 402/602-22
- Seismic/Limit States Design per TMS 402/602-22
- Masonry Veneer Requirement Changes in TMS 402/602-22, A Whole New Chapter
- Using the New Appendix D on Composite Reinforcement in Masonry