Established in 2000, the TMS Endowment Fund was created to help build the Society’s financial stability and to support special projects. The funds received for the Endowment Fund are kept in a restricted account, and only interest may be used when directed by the Board of Directors. The intent of the fund was to provide needed funds to support special projects that meet TMS’s mission to advance the knowledge of masonry such as development of seminar materials, newsletters or new masonry publications.
If you would like to make a tax deductible contribution to the the Endowment Fund, simply send a check to TMS indicating how you would like your contributions to be used or donate through the online store. TMS will then send you a receipt that you can use for income tax purposes.
Projects supported with Endowment Funds
- 2010 Masonry Research E-Newsletter (2009/2010)
At its May 2009 meetings, the Board of Directors approved releasing interest earned from the Endowment Fund to support a 2010 edition of a Masonry Research Newsletter. The first edition of this newsletter was published earlier this year by Dr. Jennifer Tanner and Dr. Saadet Toker of the University of Wyoming with financial support from the Council for Masonry Research (CMR) and TMS’s Research Committee. That newsletter, which can be downloaded from the TMS Website, was warmly received. As such, TMS’s Research Committee requested that the Board consider funding future editions of the Newsletter. While the Board of Directors would like to see funding come from its general budget, monies were not available in 2010. As such, at the recommendation of the Executive Committee, the Board approved releasing earned interest from the Endowment Fund to support the development of a 2010 Masonry Research E-Newsletter.
- 2010 Chile Earthquake Damage Investigation
On February 27, 2010, a magnitude 8.8 earthquake struck central Chile near Santiago. Preliminary estimates place this earthquake as the fifth largest ever recorded. TMS had the opportunity to embed Dr. Jennifer Tanner of the University of Wyoming into a team mobilized by the Earthquake Engineering Research Institute (EERI) to serve as their masonry expert. TMS assisted, and provided travel funding for Dr. Tanner.
As noted above, the Endowment Fund was created to support projects like the Masonry Research E-Newsletter that advance our mission but cannot be funded in other ways. TMS members have generously contributed to the fund so that it now contains over $40,000. It is hoped that in years to come, as the fund and earned interest grows, that TMS will be able to fund additional projects with the Endowment Fund. A listing of donors who have contributed to the Endowment Fund is shown below.
Contributors to the Endowment Fund
Contributions of more than $7,500
- National Concrete Masonry Association
- Portland Cement Association
Contributions of $5000 to $7,499
Contributions of $2500 to $4999
- Raymond T. Miller, Miller Consulting Engineers
Contributions of $1000 to $2499
- Brick Industry Association
- Robert N. Chittenden, Chittenden Engineering
- In Memory George Hanson by Gladys Hanson
- Gregory R. Hess
- William G. Hime, Wiss, Janney, Elstner Associates
- Paul Hoggatt, Hoggatt, Inc.
- Ronald J. Hunsicker, Glen-Gery Corporation
Contributions of $500 to $999
- David T. Biggs, Ryan-Biggs Associates PC
- John M. Bufford, ACME Brick Company
- Clayford T. Grimm, Clayford T. Grimm, P.E. Inc.
- Edwin T. Huston, P.E., S.E.
- Richard H. Lauber, J&E Duff, Inc.
- Phillip and Karen Samblanet on behalf of TMS Staff
- Jason J. Thompson
Contributions of $250 to $499
- In Memory of Walter Dickey by J. Gregg Borchelt
- In Memory of George Hanson by J. Gregg Borchelt
- In Memory of Turner Smith by J. Gregg Borchelt
- In Memory of Don Wakefield by J. Gregg Borchelt
- In Memory of Paul Yates by J. Gregg Borchelt
- Concrete Masonry Association of California and Nevada
- Lawrence W. Kahn, Georgia Institute of Technology
- Donald McMican, DGM Consultants, P.A.
- Jerry M. Painter, Painter Masonry Inc.
- Paul G. Scott, Caruso Turley Scott, Inc.
Contributions of $100 to $249
- C. K. Allen, Jr. Structural Engineer
- James E. Amrhein, Masonry Consultant
- Steve Borman, Keystone Masonry, Inc.
- Dean Brown, Interstate Brick Company
- James Colville
- James W. Cowie, J. W. Cowie Engineeing Ltd.
- Shirley Jean Dentinger, Bill Dentinger, Inc.
- Thomas Gangel
- Robert J. Kudder, Raths, Raths & Johnson, Inc.
- Robert A. Massina, Kelly Masonry Corp.
- Blair Stephens, Blair Stephens, Ltd.
- Christine A. Subasic, C. Callista Subasic
- In Honor of Brittaney and Jason Thompson’s Wedding, by Diane Throop
- Terence Allan Weigel, University of Louisville
- Joseph C. Welte, Summit Brick & Tile Company
Contributions up to $99
- Joseph O. Arumala, University of Maryland, Eastern Shore
- D. Anthony Beale, Advance Engineers Ltd.
- Scott E. Beck, Anderson & Hastings Structural Engineers
- Stanley H. Burbank, III, PSI Inc.
- Thomas E. Boothby
- John R. Butler, Elgin-Butler Brick Co.
- Canan D’Avela
- Gerald A. Dalrymple, Whitlock, Dalrymple, Poston & Assoc.
- John Dawe
- Michael DeBlasio, M. DeBlasio, Inc.
- James Durham, Jade Engineering
- Harold Epstein
- James Farny, Portland Cement Association
- Robert J. Freel, R.J. Freel Associates
- Donald C. Grant, Grant Contracting Company
- Kirk A. Haverland, Larson Engineering of Wisconsin
- David Kurtanich, Youngstown State University
- James LaFave, University of Illinois
- Andre Lamontagne, Simpson, Gumpertz & Heger, Inc.
- Gero Marzahn
- A. H. P. Maurenbrecher, Institute for Research in Construction
- Vilas Mujumdar
- Victor M. Pavon, Consultures Del Concreto
- Paul Perlman, Richtex Corp.
- Reiner A. Pligge, Reiner A. Pligge Architects
- Max Porter
- J. Patrick Rand
- Glenn P. Rentschler, Wiss, Janney, Elstner Associates, In.c
- F. G. Robinson, Jr., Robinson Brick Company
- Scott A. Sabol, Vermont Technical College
- Arturo Schultz, University of Texas at San Antonio
- Daniel Shapiro, SOHA Engineers
- Nigel Shrive, University of Calgary
- Larry W. Snedegar, Terracon, Inc.
- Don Sporleder
- Lawrence M. Tabat, Malcolm Pirnie, Inc.
Date Updated: 12/31/21