Strength Design of Masonry
7 pm ET Wednesdays, February-March 2021
This 6-session course will introduce strength design of masonry, review code requirements, and examine designs of common masonry elements including, beams, walls, columns, and pilasters. Design methodology will be reviewed, as will design for flexure, axial loads, and in-plane loads. The course will conclude with a review of requirements for reinforcement and connectors and detailing masonry effectively. This course is an excellent way to learn strength design procedures. Those taking the course should have a basic familiarity with masonry (consistent with content presented in the Masonry 101).
Continuing Education: 1 AIA LU / 1 PDH / 0.10 CEU each
Read more about the individual webinars at the links below.
- Session 1 – Introduction to Strength Design of Masonry and Design Methodologies, Presented by John Hochwalt, PE, SE – February 3, 2021 @ 7 pm ET
- Session 2 – Strength Design of Beams, Presented by Richard M. Bennett, PhD., PE – February 10, 2021 @ 7 pm ET
- Session 3 – Strength Design of Walls for Axial Load and Out-of-Plane Loads, Presented by Richard M. Bennett, PhD., PE – February 17, 2021 @ 7 pm ET
- Session 4 – Strength Design of Walls for In-Plane Loads & Seismic Detailing, Presented by John Hochwalt, PE, SE – February 24, 2021 @ 7 pm ET
- Session 5 – Strength Design of Columns and Pilasters & System Behavior, Presented by John Hochwalt, PE, SE – March 3, 2021 @ 7 pm ET
- Session 6 – Strength Design Requirements for Reinforcement & Connectors, Presented by Richard M. Bennett, PhD., PE – March 10, 2021 @ 7 pm ET
Register for all 6 webinars today to receive additional discounts
Non-Members: $420 when registering for all 6 webinars ($70 each) and receive 10% off Strength Design of Masonry (any bundle option)
TMS Members: $270 when registering for all 6 webinars ($45 each) and receive 35% off Strength Design of Masonry (any bundle option)
Originally presented October/November 2020
TMS began a new Masonry Night School with a 6 session Masonry 101 course, which provides a comprehensive introduction to masonry materials and concepts for those who need a fast-track course, especially new designers and specifiers. See the links below for descriptions and to purchase recordings of each webinar.
- Session 1 – Introduction to Masonry by W. Mark McGinley, Ph.D., P.E., FASTM, FTMS, Professor of Civil Engineering at the University of Louisville
- Session 2 – Introduction to Masonry Units by Christine A. (Tina) Subasic, P.E., LEED AP, consulting architectural engineer in Raleigh, NC
- Session 3 – Mortar by Jamie Farny, Director, Building Marketing at the Portland Cement Association
- Session 4 – Reinforcement and Anchors by Richard M. Bennett, Ph.D., P.E., FTMS, Professor at the University of Tennessee
- Session 5 – Grout by Jamie Farny, Director, Building Marketing at the Portland Cement Association
- Session 6 – Masonry Assemblies by W. Mark McGinley, Ph.D., P.E., FASTM, FTMS, Professor of Civil Engineering at the University of Louisville
Non-Members: $375 when purchasing all 6 webinars
TMS Members: $250 when purchasing all 6 webinars
Night School provides a more thorough review of masonry topics allowing attendees to progressively build their knowledge about masonry. Future integration will allow for on-demand learning and a selection of specific topics of interest by those wishing to learn about various aspects and attributes of masonry. Masonry 101 is intended as a full course to introduce those new to masonry to essential topics in a developing sequence, although attendees may participate in sessions individually if desired.