The Board of Directors of The Masonry Society approved the following vision, mission and goals for the Society at its October 2016 Meeting. Objectives are now being considered under each goal.
Vision: A world where masonry continues as the system of choice for a sustainable built environment
Mission: To advance masonry knowledge, its development and application.
- Collaborate with and engage the global masonry community.
- Aggregate and expand masonry information.
- Provide education and disseminate knowledge
- Sustain and advance a vibrant Society
During their June 2019 Meetings, the Executive Committee proposed, and TMS’s Board of Directors accepted the following objectives under each of the Goals above:
Goal: Collaborate with and engage the global masonry community (G1)
- Objective: Maintain masonrysociety.org as the prime access point for online engagement for members and non-members alike (G1.1)
- Objective: Participate in key masonry community activities (G1.2)
- Objective: Develop strategic partnerships beneficial to masonry community collaboration (G1.3)
Goal: Aggregate and expand masonry information (G2)
- Objective: Maintain and advance masonry standards (G2.1)
- Objective: Develop supporting resources to increase the exposure and use of the Society masonry information (G2.2)
- Objective: Create and maintain online masonry knowledge (G2.3)
Goal: Provide Education and Disseminate Knowledge (G3)
- Objective: Provide seminars, webinars and other opportunities to increase the Society’s educational outreach (G3.1)
- Objective: Increase the Society offerings on masonrysociety.org (G3.2)
- Objective: Support masonry related university education efforts (G3.3)
- Objective: Appropriately disseminate masonry research findings (G3.4)
Goal: Sustain and advance a vibrant Society (G4)
- Objective: Promote and increase membership participation at Society functions (G4.1)
- Objective: Attract new members with value-added opportunities (G4.2)
- Objective: Forecast future projects and resource needs which should improve the financial health of the Society in support of the Strategic Plan (G4.3)
The Masonry Society is undertaking a number of tasks and activities that would help meet each objective so that the goals and mission of the Society are furthered. However, in June 2019, the Board of Directors based on recommendations from the Executive Committee has tasked staff and volunteers to focus on 10 tasks during its Fiscal year 2020 (which starts in August 2019 and ends in July 2020) as follows, where the Task number relates to specific goals and objectives:
Summary of Priority Tasks for FY 2020
- Task G2.2.1: Based on strong support from the Board of Directors via ratings this winter, develop a Guide on the Strength Design of Masonry by the end of the fiscal year.
- Task G2.2.2: Explore options to develop an Enhanced TMS 402/602 using a Pilot Study of the Strength Design Chapter through the development of a Story Board type product by November 2019 to allow consideration of a full Enhanced TMS 402/602 in the FY 2021 Budget
- Task G3.1.1: Based on strong support from the Board of Directors via ratings this winter, develop and offer a series of nine 1-hour Special Inspection Webinars during the fall of 2019.
- Task G3.1.2: Provide at least a one-hour webinar on strength design coupled to the new manual by the end of the fiscal year.
- Task G3.2.1: Finalize and offer by the 2019 Annual Meeting Online database of papers published in TMS Journal and Proceedings of the North American Masonry Conferences where both members and non-members can search by keywords and where members can access individual papers of interest
- Task G4.1.1: Support and promote Membership Recruitment Contest through March, 2020 while offering prizes noted and thanking those that were responsible for new members joining TMS
- Task G4.1.2: Personally contact all new members within 60 days of their joining TMS, offering thanks, answering questions, and encouraging them to become involved by suggesting Committees they may be interested in serving on.
- Task G4.2.1: Provide free online recordings of past webinars to TMS renewing members.
- Task G4.2.2: As noted in Task G3.2.1, offer a new Member benefit of access to past published papers in TMS Journal and Proceedings of the North American Masonry Conference (by contrast, non-members could search paper titles by keywords, but would have to order desired papers from TMS, or become a member to access).
- Task G4.3.1: Continue future financial projections through at least FY 2023 based on changing sales, income and expenses.
An initial status report on these tasks is posted here, and will be updated throughout the year.