David G. Sommer (Term Ends 2023)
Identify current practices and resources related to the design of masonry; and investigate methods of improving those practices and resources; or in their absence, develop new practices and resources.
Improve or create masonry-related practices and resources that:
- Promote safe and economical design;
- Inform designers, regulators, and users; and
- Reflect appropriate state-of-the-art design, analyses, research, and field observations.
In the pursuit of these goals:
- Maintain and update Direct Design Handbook for Masonry Structures (TMS 403)
- Maintain and update Standard Method for Determining Sound Transmission Ratings for Masonry Assemblies (TMS 302)
- Maintain and update Design and Construction Guidelines for Dry-Stack Masonry
- Identify topics and coordinate reviews for TMS Responds and similar forums to inform the design community
- Recognize innovative design practices through the Haller Award.