Welcome to the website for The Masonry Designers’ Guide – 7th Edition. All updates, errata, and help files will be posted here as they become available. If you have an inquiry, please email it to TMS. We will acknowledge your message as soon as we receive it. For technical inquiries, please allow up to one week for a response.
Masonry Designers’ Guide – 7th Edition
The best guide on designing masonry is now even better! The 7th Edition of the Masonry Designers’ Guide (MDG-7) has been completely updated to address the numerous additions and changes in the 2011 edition of the Building Code Requirements and Specification for Masonry Structures (TMS 402/ACI 530/ASCE 5 and TMS 602/ACI 530.1/ASCE 6) – also referred to as the 2011 MSJC. The MDG-7 includes updated discussion and examples related to a recalibration of the Allowable-Stress Design method, a new Chapter on the Design of Masonry Infills, discussion on enhanced special inspection requirements, and new and revised discussions and examples throughout. In addition, information related to masonry design requirements in the 2012 International Building Code (IBC) is included, and examples use the latest loading requirements from ASCE 7-10.
The MDG-7 is an excellent resource for experienced masonry designers as well as new designers and students learning about masonry for the first time because:
- it was developed by dozens of masonry experts who are familiar both with masonry design and with the Code requirements governing masonry’s use
- it includes over 70 practical examples for typical masonry buildings and components
- it provides practical tips on how to quickly and efficiently design typical masonry
- it includes drawings and photographs to illustrate concepts and procedures discussed
Topics covered in the MDG-7 include masonry materials, testing, quality assurance, quality control, construction methods, structural design, seismic design, and using the MSJC with model Building Codes. Additional online resources are available via a new companion website including:
- Access to an electronic version (pdf format) of the complete MDG-7 for easy reference and searching
- Excel spreadsheets used in some of the design examples
- Select technical notes on clay brick and concrete masonry that are often used by designers
Definitive. Practical. Time-Saving. Graphical. The MDG is one of the most popular design guides for masonry due to its extensive examples, helpful drawings and photographs, and practical coverage of masonry design issues.