This bundled set includes the MDG-2013 and the 2013 Building Code Requirements and Specification for Masonry Structures at a reduced price, $92 savings off retail price for TMS Members and $22 for Non-Members.
Masonry Designers’ Guide – 2013
The best guide on designing masonry is now even better!
The 8th Edition of the Masonry Designers’ Guide, which has been re-designated as the MDG 2013 so that readers more easily know it is based on the 2013 TMS 402/ACI 530/ASCE 5 and TMS 602/ACI 530.1/ASCE 6, has been completely updated. Numerous additions and changes have been made that include discussion and examples on new TMS 402 provisions on limit design of masonry and on partition walls. As with past editions, information related to masonry design requirements in the 2015 International Building Code (IBC) is included, and examples use loading requirements from ASCE 7-10.
The MDG 2013 is an excellent resource for designers as well as students learning about masonry because:
- it was developed by dozens of masonry experts who are familiar both with masonry design and with the Code requirements governing masonry’s use
- it includes over 70 practical examples for typical masonry buildings and components
- it provides practical tips on how to quickly and efficiently design typical masonry
- it includes drawings and photographs to illustrate concepts and procedures discussed.
Topics covered in the MDG 2013 include masonry materials, testing, quality assurance, quality control, construction methods, structural design, seismic design, and using the TMS 402/602 with model Building Codes. A companion website has been created to provide users with additional resources including the complete MDG 2013 for reference, Excel spreadsheets used in some of the design examples and select technical notes on clay brick and concrete masonry that are often used by designers are included on this website.
The MDG has become one of the most popular design guides for masonry due to its extensive examples and practical coverage of masonry design issues.
The 2013 edition of the national masonry design code and minimum specification is now available from The Masonry Society. It represents a major update from the 2011 edition both in technical requirements and in layout. This edition is referenced by the 2015 International Building Code for the design and construction of structural masonry, veneer, and glass unit masonry. Many revisions and enhancements have been made to the 2013 Building Code Requirements and Specification for Masonry Structures including:
- a complete reformatting of the document into a more user friendly format
- the addition of an Appendix on an optional limit design method for special reinforced masonry shear walls
- a new Chapter for the prescriptive design of masonry partition walls
- movement of the empirical provisions into an Appendix
- a change to permit a moment magnifier approach for the design of reinforced clay, concrete masonry and autoclaved aerated concrete (AAC) masonry walls
- revisions of design requirements for partially grouted shear walls
- changes to the requirements for joint reinforcement and seismic clips for anchored veneer in SDC D, E, and F